Wednesday 1 April 2009

I organized to sponsor a child through World Vision!

I'm really excited about getting myself organized to Sponsor a needy child through World Vision. His name is Frank Luis and he is 8 years of age and lives in Peru. To be honest I don't know why I didn't take this step earlier. We donate to many good causes but for some reason stopped short of this commitment.

Maybe it's partly due to the wake up call of The Australian Black Saturday Fires, which reminded me of just how much we have here in Australia and that we can ALWAYS spare more.

So although we are a bit cash strapped building a new house, we can find and extra ~$10 per week for such a good cause. It's about organizing your priorities really - spending less on those ice creams for the kids or that coffee for yourself, or the expensive bottle of wine you don't really need.

I'm not sure exactly what it is, but as you will see from my last few posts, there is a them of being proactive in an environmental and social way. I have taken an interest in, and actively participated in many ways in these areas over the years, as I've always felt compelled to help others and know that we all can individually and therefore collectively make a difference. The encouraging thing is that more and more people are doping the same thing. Mainstream media really seem to be taking these issues seriously and help promote all manner of important causes in a way they rarely did say 5 years ago. The media CAN be a great influence for good when it wants to and should be encouraged for that.

Anyway back to our sponsor child. I was thrilled to learn that through World Vision you can organize to send e-letters, which are translated for you and then sent via snail mail, which I know my kids will love helping to do. They will love even more, the responses we get in return telling us about the life of our new friend on the other side of the world. I will keep you posted with what we learn about him and in turn about ourselves.

No comments: