Friday 1 October 2010

National Depression and Anxiety Awareness Month October 2010


National Anxiety and Depression Awareness Month October 2010

Well it's that time of year again when Depression and anxiety are on the agenda and you see many more news items about Depression and anxiety.

Boy times have changed in the last few years. Suffering from depression and anxiety is no longer the completely taboo topic it once was, with scores of media personalities opening up about their struggles with Depression and/or anxiety helping raise the issue for the rest of the population.

I would like to think that in some small way, no matter how small that I helped decrease the stigma around depression and anxiety with the 6 part Documentary I made that aired on TV a while back. It was about the importance of being open about having depression or anxiety - as doing so can help with recovery rather than trying to hide and suppress what is really going on in your life. I certainly found it helpful when I finally admitted that I had depression after keeping it a secret for many years.

I have been able to overcome the depression I had - in part due to no longer worrying what other people think. In fact I am writing a book on the topic and the other little known strategies I used to overcome depression. There are so many pieces to the puzzle when it comes to being well and staying well. I look forward to being able to share my findings with others in due course.

Beyond Blue CEO Leonie Young tells us, "Around one million people in Australia live with depression and a further two million have an anxiety disorder, yet less than half seek help. So it's important to encourage people to talk openly about their mental health." National Depression and Awareness Month is a great initiative to tackle the issue. If you or anyone you know struggles with Depression or anxiety then check out these websites for more info.


 
Don't suffer in silence! There is hope. Be well.

Claire McFee Author and Creator Organize Your Life Organizers

No comments: