Monday 29 June 2009

Organize Time Out For Yourself to Meditate

I used to think that Meditation 'wasn't for me'.... and more to the point that it simply 'wouldn't work for me', because my mind always went so darn fast I didn't think I would be able to learn slow it down.

I'm happy to report that I was wrong and that Mediation has and continues to work very effectively for me. Here's how....I was presented with the opportunity to partake in an 8 week Mindfulness Course run by Monash University. It was basically learning how to Meditate and be 'in the moment'. When we are 'in the moment' we can not worry about past events or future happenings - which is blissful for someone who used to worry a lot, or 'ruminate' as it is also somberly known.

We had to do Homework during this Mindfulness/Meditation Based Program, part of which was organizing our day in such a way that we could find time to Meditate for 45minutes a day, as well a find several 3 'minute breathing spaces'to practise Mindfulness. Our Meditation Practice was invaluable to make it part of our new routine....not that I now mediate every day for 45 mins. I tend to meditate for smaller amounts of time in the morning, and at night before I go to sleep, which is when I do my 'Gratitude's'. If you haven't heard about making time to be thankful for what your are grateful for, it is as simple as that. (Oprah is actually big on them.) It is a very helpful way to see the good in your life and to focus on that even if you are facing challenging times.

I continue to find the 3 minute breathing spaces incredibly useful. Often during what I would previously have considered quite boring, mundane tasks, such as washing the dishes, hanging the washing out or putting the rubbish out. I REALLY take notice of what I am doing like feeling the warm water on my hands while doing to dishes, or breathing in the fresh air and grabbing a quick does of sunshine while doing outside chores. It surprisingly does make a big difference to how I feel and helps keep my stress levels down, by taking a breather that I wouldn't otherwise take during the day. Why don't you try it and see for yourself. You deserve the time for yourself. If you struggle with this concept of deserving 'me time' then trust that it will benefit everything else you do - inlcluding work, homelife, personal relationships -you name it. So it's a win/win thing to do. So go try some meditating yourself!

If you want to read more about Meditation and other related topics, then you may like to read an article of mine on the topic here.


Bye for now,

Claire McFee
Organize Your Life

No comments: